At 5.15 yesterday morning my housemate woke me up and told me to get dressed and get ready to go. She put a blindfold on me, took me to the top of the mountain that overlooks the city and we started a day of birthday bingo with the most beautiful sunrise. She had organised it so I did 25 activities over the course of the day to celebrate my 25 years including bacon for breakfast at (7)am, having a nerf war with (5) of my friends, triple (3) scoop icecream cones, getting my nails done (10 fingers!) just to name a few. Every time I did an activity I crossed the corresponding number off the list. The day concluded with (more than a few) drinks at a local bar with some of my bestest friends, strangers wishing me a happy (24)the birthday (tricked them!) and so much fun. I am the luckiest girl in the whole entire world to have a roommate who took the time out to do this for me. I can quite easily say this was my best birthday ever and it will be pretty hard to beat.
- I ate 4 less pieces of cake than yesterday. For the best, really.
- my head didn’t fall off my body because I’m a quarter of a century old (this one was surprising)
- I continued my pledge to be positive, and seriously, doing that a week and a half ago was potentially the best thing I ever did.
- Things I’ve noticed: when you’re happy and cheerful people around you are happy and cheerful and good things happen (like getting a free coffee! Holllaaa!)
- my knee is still not great hey. I’ve got a weird pain that starts at the top of my knee cap and runs down to the bottom of it. My Physio says it is normal but it is seriously bothering my life. Teaching and knee surgery continue to not go well together. But I’m getting there and holidays are in THREE days!!!
- I treated myself to a hair cut and colour and I wish that I could do this more often because my hair is great. Seriously great.
- I really miss running.
I can’t think of any better way to end the perfect birthday than sharing a piece of chocolate peanut butter pie with my bestie while the waiter continually relit my birthday candle. Today has been one of the very best birthdays I can ever remember. My heart is so happy.
Today at school:
- two people had baked me birthday cakes! TWO! How did I get so lucky?!
- I was completely spoilt by my workmates AND
- a student I have had for 2 years wrote me a happy birthday note when he used to cry when I asked him to pick up a pencil.
In other news, I turn old tomorrow. And by old I mean 25. Which I know isn’t that old, but it has always been the age in my head when I should have my shit together. Not to say my life isn’t great, because it is. But, still. 25. Scary.
Luckily I love birthdays enough to help lessen the struggle. And I kicked off the birthday celebrations tonight with a family dinner at Mum and Dad’s along with 5 of my close friends. I’m so very lucky to have such wonderful people in my life. And cake. So lucky to have cake.